The art of the Filigree is ancient, dating back to the dawn of Middle Eastern civilization.
The first ancient objects that have decorations in filigree date back to 2500 BC
The goldsmith technique acquired great maturity before the Minoan civilization, then in mainland Greece and, with the first Greek colonies, the art of filigree lands in the West.
The testimony of the affirmation of the filigree in Italy dates back to the first crusades.
In the first half of 1600 the production increased, and in 1700 filigree is used to embellish the sacred vessels, ornaments, and as an adornment of folk costumes.
From 1800 until the early 1900s signed the great expansion of the filigree objects, expanding too many aspects of life. The most important centers of the handmade filigree become Genoa, Turin, Vercelli, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Scanno, Pesco Costanzo, Agrigento and the Island of Sardinia.
In 1882, Italian Filigree exported to Europe and the Americas more than 450,000 pounds of silver and more than 100,000 pounds of gold filigree.
In this historical context of particular prosperity, during the 1884 a craftsman from Campo Ligure, Antonio Oliveri, trained at the Filigree Laboratory of Antonio Grasso in Genoa, decided to open his own business in Campo Ligure. Tradition tells the move happens because of a cholera epidemic raging in Genoa but it is more credible that the choice was linked to a lower labor costs.
Antonio Oliveri example was followed by other artisans, defining in that way the beginning of a tradition that will see thirty active laboratories in Campo Ligure, which was soon defined the National Centre of filigree jewel, making the town the Filigree Capital.
Even today, using the “bruscelle” (pliers of various sizes) when managing silver in meticulous and patient work, craft that is hidden in each of the created pieces, is possible create little works of art.